Winter is on the horizon and cold and flu season are guaranteed to follow. An easy immune booster for this time of year is Fermented Honey Garlic.
It is believed that garlic can fight off colds, that honey can kill unwanted bacteria and that fermentation can create a probiotic that improves the immune system. What more could you ask for with only 2 natural ingredients.
Try making some yourself!
- 1 cup of garlic cloves
- 1-1.5 cups of raw honey
1. Using the side of a knife lightly crush the garlic just enough so that it bruises the clove but stays in one piece. It is believed that once bruised an enzyme in the clove converts to allicin which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
2. Put the crushed garlic cloves in a pint size mason jar. They should fill the jar half way.
3. Pour raw honey over the cloves until they are covered. Start with one cup of honey and add more as required.
4. Ensure there is 1-2 inches of free space in the jar.
5. Close the jar and store in a dark place.
6. Check on the jar once a day to ensure the cloves stay coated in honey. At the same time open the lid to release the pressure that is building up under the fermentation process.
7. Continue checking and opening the jar for one month, while the mixture ferments.
After a month of fermenting use the mixture as an immune booster. Eat a clove or take a spoon full of the honey.
You can also use the mixture for cooking. Use it as a marinade for chicken or mix with some olive oil to make a healthy salad dressing. Be adventurous and see what you can drizzle it on or cook with it.